Valley seasons can teach you things that mountain top seasons can’t. Whatever season you are going through, be reassured that it is serving a purpose in your life. That purpose may not be evident now but keep believing in the Word God gave you until He brings you through. Don’t despise the season you are in because GOD is still GOD in all seasons of life. Learn to be content & embrace the opportunity for growth. Have an ah-Mazing March!
Stop rehearsing your future troubles. You end up putting yourself through an experience several times when you are only meant to experience them once. Don’t multiply your suffering. Instead relax in God’s presence & peace. I declare that God is strengthening and preparing you for the future. He will transform your fear into confident trust.
Have a fear-less February!
Wishing you a very Happy and Prosperous New Year!
There are different metaphors that have been used to describe life. A few that I’ve heard before are:
- Life is like a camera. Focus on what’s important. Capture the good times. Develop from the negatives and if things don’t work out just take another shot.
- Life is like a box of chocolate you never know what you’re going to get.
- Life is like a cup of tea, its all in how you make it.
And I’m sure you’ve also heard of life being likened to a book with different chapters.
Life is like a book. Some chapters are sad, some happy, some exciting. But if you never turn the page you will never know what the next chapter holds. There comes a time when you have to choose between turning the page and closing the book.
2018 was a chapter that has come and gone. If you could think of a genre to describe that year what would it be… Drama? Horror? Action? Adventure? A thriller? A romantic comedy?
As with any best selling book, you have reviews such as “Astounding. Thrilling. Lovely and amazing’ “a mesmerising novel”. How would you rate the year that has just gone by? What star rating would you give it? Did God (the BEST selling author of your life) keep you on the edge of your seat?
When I was younger I loved reading. I’d spend hours after my bedtime turning page after page so that I would find out what happened to the characters I had fallen in love with. I had a few friends who would read the first chapter then skip to the last one and attempt to fill in the details, strange right? My thoughts exactly. Why couldn’t they just read the book normally and enjoy watching the story unfold? But then again it would be great to know the ending to a new beginning. For example, we have started the 2019 Book, you may have already set out goals or made plans that you want to know how they turn out. Unfortunately, I’m not here to fill in the minute details of what this year might hold for you but I do have something to share, it’s a spoiler though. So drum roll, please… GOD WINS!
I want to challenge you this year to increase your OPTIMISM. A more familiar synonym to optimism is HOPE. “Let your hope in Christ shape your future”. When God is weaved into the intricacies of your life there is truly no limit to the wonders He can display.
‘What then shall we say to these things? If God is for us, who can be against us? ‘ Romans 8:31
What shall we say to anxiety and / depression
What shall we say to financial troubles
What shall we say to unemployment
What shall we say to educational problems
What shall we say to confusion or doubt
What shall we say to poor health and illnesses
What shall we say to failing friendships and relationships
What shall we say to challenges and obstacles
What shall we say to fear or other negative traits or habits
IF GOD IS FOR US, WHO/WHAT CAN BE AGAINST US?
We will certainly have opposition in this world, but what is the world compared to God? What is satan compared to God? What are the obstacles or difficulties we encounter compared to God? What are the trials and temptations we face compared to God? The Answer is resounding NOTHING. You + God is always an unconquerable majority. When God is added to the equation it is impossible to find yourself on the losing side. To those without hope and faith it may appear that you are defeated but ultimately victory belongs to Jesus. He is our deliverer and provider. The Psalmist reminds us that “With God, we will gain the victory, and he will trample down our enemies.” (Psalms 60:12)
As I mentioned earlier, God is the BEST selling Author and He has great plans for your future, you are destined for success this year. With only a few days into the New Year I ask you; What do you want the review of this chapter in your life to be? Be optimistic and Trust that God has you in mind and He will cause you to have total victory. Everything will be more than alright in the end and if it isn’t, it simply isn’t the end of that chapter. The Word of God over your life outweighs the plots of the enemy against your life. God had a plan before the enemy had a plot. I pray that God will surprise you and surpass your expectations because absolutely nothing is difficult for Him.
I leave you with this excerpt from Jesus Calling: Do not be weighed down with problems and unresolved issues for Jesus is your burden-bearer. In the world, you will have trials and distress, but don’t let them get you down. Jesus has conquered the world and deprived it of power to harm us.
When you get a chance listen to the words of this song “Victory Belongs to Jesus by Todd Dulaney and be encouraged.
Once again Happy New Year, thank you for your continued support.
P.S : Are you living your best life? Check out how you can on last year’s New Year’s Post Living our best life in 2018
It’s easy to fall into the trap of dwelling on the setbacks, nasty surprises, “unanswered prayers” and missed opportunities of the past year but the devil uses this to keep us in a bottomless pit of despair. Joseph’s brothers sentenced him to a pit but at the end of his numerous detours he was able to say “you meant evil against me; but God meant it for good”(Gen 50:20). Reflect on the year, think about the “but God” moments and count the numerous blessings you’ve experienced; as this gives hope for the future. If you haven’t experienced one yet I pray that you experience a “But God” in your circumstances/life. Have a Delightful December! x
As 2018 draws to an end, you reflect on its highs & lows, celebrations & disappointments, blessings & what appeared to have been “curses”. God wants us to know that comfort and growth do not coexist. For oil to run from an olive it needs to be shook, beat & pressed, you may have felt that you’ve experienced that this year. But that’s not where the story ends you’re more than a conqueror. Make this declaration: God will deliver my miracle & blessings at His appointed time so Lord infuse me with patience & hope. Have a blessed November! xx
That situation that is beyond your control has to be like that in order for you to know that it is only God that will bring you through. As an artist once sung: “May your struggles keep you near the cross. May your troubles show that you need God. May your battles end the way they should. Let your whole life prove that God is good.”
God is faithful to His word & will surely bring your situation to a glorious expected end. Have an outstanding October x
The date is 24th August 2018 and I am writing this blog post from a position of Victory. I’ve said in a previous blog post that as Christians we should fight from a place of Victory and not for victory. So back to my initial point, I just finished resiting some medical written exams. I had not been successful during my first sit but I write this post in faith and Thank God for the Victory he has granted onto me.
For me this is not only a faith-building exercise, it is also a way for me to firstly testify about God’s goodness and secondly, encourage you all. It feels very strange that I am thanking God and testifying about how he brought me through another year of medical school when I can’t physically see it in front of me, but I am more than assured that there is power in Praising God in advance. Where do I begin? I want to keep this short, but that may not be the case depending on how the Spirit leads.
It is often difficult to avoid worrying about the events that unfold in our lives and the hurdles that come our way. We find ourselves falling into a trap in which we ask God why? But the truth is we may never truly get to know why we end up in certain situations or why God makes us go through seemingly longwinded paths to make it to a particular destination. As Christians, it’s important to cultivate a habit in which we aren’t always trying to be the detectives and figuring out God’s plan & purpose for our lives because as I said it’s GOD’S PLAN. We can’t expect to know more than our maker, that’s not how it works.
Fighting from a place of Victory is not easy at all, the enemy detests this so He’s already trying to get into my head but as I go through this experience, I’ll keep adding to the list below which are ways I maintained my stand in fighting from Victory.
- Gospel Music
- Listening to gospel music has a very calming effect on the listener and it is an opportunity to partake in praise & worship
- There is power in Praising God in advance
- Some songs that have been on repeat for me include; Won’t He Do It by Koryn Hawthorne, Praise on the inside by J Moss, Olowogbogboro (The outstretched hand of God), Great is the Lord by Jonathan McReynolds, Victory belongs to Jesus by Todd Dulaney
- God’s Word
- God will use all possible routes & means to communicate to you and encourage you
- The Bible plan devotions and bible texts I read during this whole period were very applicable to my circumstance – it was as though God was directly speaking to me.
- 29/08, Another devotion – Happy You, Happy Life! by Drenda Keesee: “If we stay in God’s word, we are able to fight successfully. Don’t wait till the evil day to prepare; instead, meditate on God’s Word day and night. If an attack comes, God’s Word stored up inside of you will quench it!”
- Some other devotions that helped me during this time were: Stay The Course Because God is Faithful to His promises, Goliath Must Fall: Winning The Battle Against Your Giants by Louie Giglio. Both of which I highly recommend and can be found in the Bible App Plans section (links can be found below)
- Positive Affirmations
- The devil is a pathological liar, he wants you to doubt all that God has promised you. The best way to counteract this is to use God’s Word against him
- Everything the Devil whispers into your head you profess the opposite.
- Another thing I did was that when I was leaving campus, I repeatedly whispered: “I am returning in September as a 4th-year student”. There is power in the tongue!
- Inner Circle – Support Network
- I can’t stress this enough, having an inner circle with godly people is the way forward. An inner circle is a group of people (friends/ loved ones) that you trust and are open with. When you are down and want to give up, these people will continue to encourage you and pray on your behalf (an amazing feeling)
- There were some days I would be so fixated on the soon coming of my results that it hindered me from enjoying myself even whilst on holiday. However when I shared how I felt with those in my inner circle they sent words of encouragement which eventually lifted my spirits. They prayed for me and with me even when my faith was shaking.
- Don’t be disheartened even if you feel as though you don’t have an inner circle, God will send unlikely destiny helpers to assist you. I have a friend who I spoke to occasionally in my 3rd year of Uni who been through a similar situation (having to resit his exams in the past). He had kept in touch with me since the first sit results came out, he assisted a lot in my preparation for the resits and continued to keep in touch & encourage me during the wait. God certainly placed this person in my life to be nothing short of a blessing.
- The Name Of Jesus
- On the 25/08, I was very fortunate to have the opportunity to attend a gospel concert. I am certain that God specifically orchestrated that whole experience from me being able to secure the tickets even though they were sold out and then making it “on time” despite being late for an hour and a half.
- Earlier that morning my devotion said: I am intimately involved in all your moments, and I am training you to be aware of Me at all times. I have taken up residence within you; I am central in your innermost being. Your mind goes off in tangents from its holy Center, time after time. Do not be alarmed by your inability to remain focused on Me. Simply bring your thought gently back to Me each time they wander. The quickest way to redirect your mind to me is to whisper My Name. When I arrived at the event you will not believe it each ministration had a recurring theme which was about the power in Jesus’ name. Definitely not a coincidence – the Holy Spirit was moving and had directed all my steps that day.
- The name of Jesus is very powerful, Whisper, Shout, Scream it. If fear and anxiety threaten to paralyse you and you can’t say anything else, His Name is more than sufficient to redirect your thoughts and mind back to Him.
- Prayer is a major Key!
- Pray Pray Pray!
- Specific prayer points I had:
- God, please give me the courage to deal with the outcome of this trial in a mature way.
- God give me your peace that passes all understanding.
- Lord, I believe but help my unbelief.
- Share your request with people of God that you trust & are comfortable with; your friends, family, pastors. You can never have too many prayers being sent up on your behalf.
The time was 3:33pm when I received an email;
I am pleased to confirm that you have…
I had successfully completed the academic year and was through to the next chapter. This was a confirmation of what God had already promised me, an earthly confirmation that I had reached my place of Victory. At the beginning of this post, I told you I was fighting from a place of Victory and not for victory and I am here to testify now that as a 4th-year medical student God has brought me to that place of victory.
Thank you for being a part of this faith-building exercise, I pray that you will also be encouraged and reminded that “faith is the confidence that what we hope for will actually happen; it gives us assurance about things we cannot see”. My prayer for you is that as you fight from a position of victory may you receive your report saying: I am pleased to confirm that… 🙏🏾
Leaving you with this final passage: James 1:2-4; Consider it pure joy whenever you face trials of many kinds because you know the testing of your faith produces perseverance. Let perseverance finish its work so that you may be mature and complete, not lacking anything. We don’t really know the depth of our character until we see how we react under pressure. It is easy to have faith when everything is going well, but can we still keep that faith when our world appears to be turned upside down? This scripture says that the aim of testing our faith is to make us mature and complete, therefore instead of complaining and throwing tantrums when life doesn’t go as we’ve planned, open your eyes to see the opportunity for growth. I once read a quote: Great things never come from our comfort zones. Thus in order for growth to occur it is mandatory for us to be made uncomfortable. Faith thrives in discomfort.
I tweeted this a while ago and I think it is very appropriate to end this post:
P.S – If you have any prayer requests please feel free to send me a message via this link: Prayer Request form
Links to the Bible Plans discussed above:
- Stay The Course Because God Is Faithful To His Promises – Sometimes God seems to work so slowly. We wish things could be the way we envision them RIGHT NOW; yet we must trust that God is building a bigger vision, weaving our stories together into His rich tapestry. Pastor Bayless Conley teaches you to remain stable, having a heart free from anxiety and full of confidence that God will get you to exactly where you need to be on time. https://my.bible.com/reading-plans/2768-stay-course-because-god-faithful-to-his-promises
- Happy You, Happy Life! – God has an incredible plan for your life, but it starts with discovering your joy in His presence. In this 14-day devotional, Drenda Keesee combines wit, humour, and encouragement to create a dynamic and prophetic space to encounter God. When we create space for God to move, He never fails to meet us in a powerful way! Get ready to embark on an eye-opening journey toward a happier you. https://my.bible.com/reading-plans/11177-happy-you-happy-life
- Goliath Must Fall: Winning The Battle Against Your Giants – It’s likely you have a giant in your life that is holding you captive, intimidating you, and stealing your joy. Adversaries like fear, rejection, comfort, anger, and addiction stake a claim and gain a foothold in your heart. In this seven-day reading plan, Louie Giglio examines the David and Goliath story to show how those giants can fall: by focusing on the size of our God, not the height of your giants, and by walking in the victory Jesus has already won. https://my.bible.com/reading-plans/4024-goliath-must-fall-winning-battle-against-giants